This product typically takes 3-4 working days to dispatch
Brazil is the world's largest coffee producer, but most of that coffee is low-grade for broad commercial use. However, in recent years, there has been an increasing focus on quality and sustainability in the country. This Brazilian single origin coffee comes from a farm and a cooperative that are both helping to champion these important causes.
The coffee is grown on the ~400 hectare Londrino farm near Patos de Minas, half of which is planted with coffee. It is a family run operation with a big focus on sustainability. In fact, 20% of the farmland is certified rainforest habitat and has helped to earn them Rainforest Alliance certification. The variety is Acaia, which is particular to Brazil and quite hard to find elsewhere.
The coffee comes via Expoaccer, an organisation set up to help reward farmers for quality crops. Using professionally trained Q Graders, the company identifies lots that score better than 83 on blind cuppings (as this one has) and then pay the farmers that grow these lots a premium, thereby incentivising quality.
The result of the Londrino farmers' efforts is an elegant yet archetypal Brazilian coffee. The dominant characteristic is a bold, nutty flavour, complemented by some subtle hints of dried fruit like raisins and a touch of cocoa. These can be appreciated in any brew method, but there's no doubt that this coffee will make a comforting classic espresso.
- Roast used: High charge with heat added to the roast after 60 seconds, then maintained until grass smell, when reduced and roast is eased into browning. Then roast is accelerated into first crack where it is held of just over 2 minutes.
- Prime Attributes: The coffee is full bodied with good complexity with dried fruit and nut, and a hint of coca
- Region: Cerrado, Minas Gerais
- Country: Brazil
- Farm: Fazenda Londrino
- Cooperative: Expocaccer
- Processing: Natural, dried in sun on raised tables
- Harvest: July - September
- Variety: 100% Arabica: Acaia
- Altitude: 1160 masl
- Bag type: Hessian with GrainPro
- Certification: Rainforest Alliance