This product typically takes 3-4 working days to dispatch
Kenya is one of the real heavyweight producers in African coffee. It has earned its reputation due to great quality as well as a sophisticated cooperative system assisting with processing, grading & sorting. This particular Kenyan is a Peaberry - the naturally occurring rounder coffee beans that grow alone in about 5% of coffee cherries. Some consider this type of coffee bean to be the best, which is why Peaberry lots are particularly prized.
When tasting this coffee, we found some lovely caramel sweetness and stone fruit acidity which combined for a flavour a bit like a peach juice. In pour-overs a tea-like characteristic also shone through, but we particularly loved this coffee in a French Press where the extra body made that stone fruit juice flavour even more delicious.
Roaster's notes & coffee details
- Region: Nyeri Central, Kenya
- Farmers: Men: 501; Women: 225
- Varietal: 100% Arabica: SL28, SL34, some Ruiru 11 & Batain
- Annual rainfall: 1200 - 1300mm
- Altitude: 1700 masl
- Soil: Red volcanic soil, rich in organic matter
- Harvest: April-Sept (early crop) Oct-Dec (main crop)
- Processing: Wet mill pulping, fermentation and sun drying on raised tables
- Bag type: Hessian with GrainPro inside
- Roast used: Early intense heat to turn the coffee quickly, then a steady control of ramp rate until first crack we the heat in gently decreased for 80 seconds after first crack, when it is dropped