We receive fresh deliveries of these coffee beans several times per week. Please allow up to 2-3 working days after you order for dispatch in case we need to wait for the next delivery.
Our friends at Quaffee were the first to introduce us to the Long Miles Coffee Project, a venture set up by an American family who fell in love with Burundi on their travels and decided to build a washing station to help reward local farmers for their labours while also improving quality. That relationship has borne some delicious fruit over the last couple of years, all of which we've thoroughly enjoyed.
For four consecutive years, we looked forward to Quaffee's Long Miles releases and were never disappointed. They were always truly stunning coffees. It's been a while since we've had an LMCP release, but we are truly thrilled that they are back, and this particular lot was definitely worth waiting for!
You could describe our relationship with this coffee as love at first sip. It may even have been love at first sniff. Whatever it was, our love for this coffee has only grown with every brew. We reckon there is no suboptimal way to drink this bean - brew it every which way you can and enjoy all the nuance and complexity.
For a natural process, and a 2019 harvest at that, this coffee has an amazing amount of acidity and clarity. It's syrupy sweet, sometimes reminiscent of butterscotch, but that sweetness is so perfectly balanced by the brightness that it reveals some really wonderful fruit flavours. We found berries in some cups, and stone fruit in others. Some pour-overs particularly were reminiscent of those old fashioned syrup-canned apricots. Needless to say, we'd recommend that you get a bag!
- Taste profile: A four-star complexity coffee, with molasses sweetness and berry notes.
- Roast used: Medium charge with a decreasing Ramp rate through the roast until after browning when the coffee is accelerated into first crack. Once first crack is attained the flame is removed to let the coffee development extend for 45-50seconds.
- Quaffee brews:
- Espresso: 1:1.9 (fuller); 1:21 (sweeter)
- AeroPress: 17.5g:200g
- Plunger: 50g:800g
- Pour over/filter: 20g:300g (fuller); 17g:300g (sweeter)
- Region: Tangara Commune, Ngozi Province
- Country: Burundi
- Farming families: 1553 in the whole community on 20 Hills
- Processing: Natural slow dried on African raised beds
- Harvest: Main crop: May-July (2019)
- Altitude grown: 1,566 meters above sea level (masl)
- Variety: Arabica Bourbon
- Packaging: GrainPro in Hessian
- Note: From Long Miles Coffee Project
- Sourced from: Long Miles Coffee
- FOB price: US$4/pound. CIF US$8.2/pound
- Cupping score: 86
- Producer/Organisation: Long miles coffee project LMCP
- Lot size bought: 4x60kg bags
- Relationship: Our relationship with LMCP goes back to 2014.
- Other Information: We had to airfreight this coffee in as there was not enough local demand from other South African roasters. This is why the CIF price is so high.