We receive fresh deliveries of these coffee beans several times per week. Please allow up to 2-3 working days after you order for dispatch in case we need to wait for the next delivery.
Kenya is one of the real heavyweight producers in African coffee. It has earned its reputation due to great quality as well as a sophisticated cooperative system assisting with processing, grading & sorting. This particular Kenyan is a peaberry - the naturally occurring rounder coffee beans that grow alone in about 5% of coffee cherries. Some consider this type of coffee bean to be the best, which is why Peaberry lots are particularly prized. They tend to have more muted acidities, compared to their often tart AA compatriots.
Our friends at Quaffee seem to have a particular penchant for high quality Kenyan peaberries. They always have one in their coffee arsenal, and we always look forward to the releases. This one is a little bit different than some of its predecessors as it is not a product of Kenya's famous cooperative system. The coffee was actually grown on a family-owned estate called Githaka.
The Nguri family has run the Githaka Estate since the 1970s and in recent years has focused on sustainable practices on the farm. This has earned them various certifications, including UTZ and Rainforest Alliance.
Phaedon's tasting notes
This coffee is subtle but quite complex. It has quite a medley of berry flavours to enjoy; I found raspberry, blackcurrant and strawberry in the different cups I tasted. I also discerned a little bit of black grape in some of my pour-overs. To get the best out of this coffee, I would recommend pour-over, batch brew & AeroPress brews.
- Roast used: Slight soak with increase in flame before yellowing and then again as browning begins. Once first crack begins, flame decreased, allowing for an 11% development.
- Characteristics: A four-star complexity coffee, with berry fruit sweetness and orange notes. A bit of cocoa on the nose, which becomes more of a player in espresso.
- Our brews:
- Espresso 1:2.4 (28 sec)
- AeroPress 16g:200g (fine)
- Plunger 48g:800g (coarser than table salt)
- Pour over/filter 18g:300g (on the coarser side)
- Country: Kenya
- Region: Kiambu
Producer: Githaka Estate, Nguri Family
- Varieties: Arabica SL28, SL34 – peaberry
- Altitude: 1,550+ masl
- Harvest: Main crop: October – December (2020). Landed SA April 2021.
- Processing: Fully washed and sun-dried on raised beds.
- Packaging: Hessian
- Certifications (at farm): Café Practices, Rainforest Alliance, UTZ and 4C
Quaffee's transparency information
- Sourced from: Sevenoaks Trading
- FOB price: U$D3.62/lb
- Cupping score: 82.5 (Sevenoaks); We cupped at 84
- Producer / Organisation: Githaka Estate
- Lot size bought: 5 x 60kg bags
- Relationship: We have a working relationship with Sevenoaks that goes back to 2008. This is our first coffee from this Estate.