This product typically takes 2-3 working days to dispatch
In recent years, our friends at Origin Coffee Roasting have really demonstrated the quality and variety of coffee produced in Tanzania. Every year, they share at least one or two delicious new finds from the country with us, and they always seem to be a flavour adventure.
This latest Tanzanian single origin is a peaberry - if not the very first we've had, at least the first in the last couple of years. Peaberries are the naturally occurring coffee cherry mutations that only grow a single round seed, rather than the usual hemispherical double seed we're used to seeing. This ~5% of most coffee lots is sometimes kept mixed in, but also sometimes separated and sold at a premium as peaberries are prized for their quality and more subtle acidities.
This particular peaberry is like a visit to a sweet shop. There's a cakey syrupy quality that underlies every sip and it's accented by all kinds of fruit flavours like raspberry or tart tropical fruits. While pinning this complex coffee down to a specific flavour note or two may be challenging, the overall experience is perhaps as close as drinking coffee can get to eating a cupcake - and who doesn't love cupcakes?! Treat yourself to a bag, no matter your brew method of choice, but prepare to be particularly wowed if you enjoy a moka pot.
- Flavour: Papaya, Pink-lady Apple, Allspice
- Body: Medium, Syrupy
- Roast: Medium
- Acidity: Elegant, Complex
- Suitable for: Espresso, Mokapot, Plunger, Aeropress
- Cooperative: Iyenga Agricultural Marketing Cooperative and Society (191 registered members)
- Owner: Various smallholder farmers
- Varietals: Kent, Bourbon, N39 & other local varieties
- Processing: Wet processed & sun-dried on African beds
- Altitude: 1,670 - 1,950 masl
- Town/City: Iyenga
- Region: Mbozi District, Mbeya
- Country: Tanzania