We receive fresh deliveries of these coffee beans several times per week. Please allow up to 2-3 working days after you order for dispatch in case we need to wait for the next delivery.
Please understand that if you buy green / unroasted coffee that it will need to be roasted before it can be ground or brewed. The unroasted coffee is labelled as such in the Bag Size drop down menu.
Our friends at Quaffee have brought in many of the best Burundian coffees that we've tasted over the last few years. After a brief hiatus, and lots of upheaval due to political challenges in Burundi, and of course the global pandemic, we have been very happy to see a renewed steady stream of quality lots.
This coffee is actually the second from the fairly recently founded Migoti Coffee. We thoroughly enjoyed the previous lot, Nyabiraba. Founded in 2016, within an existing farming community of about 700 families, Migoti Coffee has worked with people of the area to restore coffee production to both higher volumes and quality. The washing station is run by Zephyrin Banzubaze who ensures that best practices are followed to yield exceptional lots. The company also invests heavily in educating farmers, helping them improve their crop and their livelihoods. This lot was grown by the farmers and their families within the vicinity of Murambi Hill.
Phaedon's tasting notes
I would call this a quintessential specialty Burundi. It's balanced, medium-bodied, sweet and easy to drink. It has some jammy, tangy qualities, and a well-integrated acidity that make it crisp and juicy. Sometimes it leans more towards a dried fruit kind of flavour (think prunes or raisins) and sometimes more towards a combination of apples and oranges. Either way, it's delicious. It's wonderful in all types of filtered brew methods, as well as in your plunger.
- Characteristics: A four-star complexity medium-full bodied coffee, with berry jam fruit and an all-space finish, with a hint of cocoa after-taste.
- Roast used: Soak bump, kick and straighten roast with a 40 seconds development time. This lighter roast promotes the fruit flavour note.
- Our brews:
- Espresso: 1:2 (28sec)
- AeroPress: 17g:200g (2min steep)
- Plunger: 48g:800g (4.5 mins)
- Pour over/filter: 18g:300g
- Country: Burundi
- Region: Nyabiraba, Bujumbura Rural Province
- Cooperative: Migoti
- Farmers: 174 farming families from the Murambi Hill area, with a total of around 74,566 coffee trees
- Processing: Fully washed, with 12 hours wet and 16 hours dry fermentation. Dried in the sun on raised beds for around 21 days
- Packaging: GrainPro in Hessian
- Altitude grown: 1,800 meters above sea level (masl)
- Variety: Arabica - Red Bourbon
- Harvest: Main crop June – August (2020). Arrived in Feb 2021
Quaffee transparency information
- Sourced from: Migoti via Sevenoaks Trading
- FOB price: U$D2.50 per pound
- Cupping score: 83.75
- Producer / organisation: Migoti coffee co-operative
- Lot size bought: 8 x 60kg bags
- Relationship: We have a working relationship with Dan Brose, the owner of Migoti since 2019. This is our third season dealing with Dan, who visits us when he is in Cape Town.