We receive fresh deliveries of these coffee beans several times per week. Please allow up to 2-3 working days after you order for dispatch in case we need to wait for the next delivery.
Kenya is one of the real heavyweight producers in African coffee. It has earned its reputation due to great quality as well as a sophisticated cooperative system assisting with processing, grading & sorting. This particular Kenyan is a Peaberry - the naturally occurring rounder coffee beans that grow alone in about 5% of coffee cherries. Some consider this type of coffee bean to be the best, which is why Peaberry lots are particularly prized. They tend to have more muted acidities, compared to their often tart AA compatriots.
Our friends at Quaffee seem to have a knack for finding particularly delicious Kenyan peaberries and this one is no exception. Nevertheless, it has quite a unique flavour profile. It's surprisingly muted on the acidity, even for a peaberry, but it is sweet, full-bodied and rich, with a subtle hint of butterscotch underpinning a dominant flavour of black cherries.
- Roast used: What we call a bump and kick with an acceleration into and through first crack
- Characteristics: Fruity and sweet with a medium body
- Region: Chania, Thika District
- Country: Kenya
- Estate: Makwa
- Owner: Mwahota Ikai Co. LTD – MAKWA
- Varieties: Arabica SL-28, SL-34 – peaberry
- Altitude: 1,500 masl
- Harvest: 2018
- Processing: Fully washed, dried on raised beds