We receive fresh deliveries of these coffee beans several times per week. Please allow up to 2-3 working days after you order for dispatch in case we need to wait for the next delivery.
It's really starting to feel like the speciality coffee industry in Nicaragua is getting something right, at least from the South African vantage point. It wasn't so long ago that we'd never tasted a Nicaraguan single origin, and now, we justifiably get excited whenever there is a new one released. Our friends at Quaffee are quite choosy, so the fact that they are now sourcing and roasting Nicaraguans definitely says something!
This new lot did not disappoint. Not only is it delicious, but it seems to show that there is quite a lot of variety in flavour in Nicaraguan speciality lots. It has some subtle nutty notes but it's the honey sweetness that really captivated our palates. It lingers long after you've swallowed your last sip, tempting you to go back for another cup. In the MoccaMaster, we also picked up quite a lovely apple flavour: pink lady to be precise. It was a bit elusive, but definitely there, and may suggest fine grinds and long draw down times will bring the best out in this coffee.
- Taste Profile: A medium mouth-feel with caramel nuts as tasting notes.
- Roast Used: We soak the coffee to start, then allow a gently decreasing ramp rate during the roast into and through first crack. Development time is 50 seconds.
- Quaffee brews:
- Espresso: 1:2.1
- AeroPress: 17.5g:180g
- Pour over/filter: 19g:300g
Producer: Ramiro Ortiz
Farm: Buena Esperanza Farm on Rajuanse Estate.
- Town: Matagalpa
- Country: Nicaragua
- Altitude: 1,100 - 1,200 masl
- Processing: Honey
- Species/Variety: Arabica - Marsellesa
- Harvest: 2019
- Packaging: GrainPro in hessian
- Certification: Rain Forest Alliance
- Sourced from: Sevenoaks Trading
- FOB price: Pending, waiting for Sevenoaks to permit us to publish
- Cupping score: 84
- Producer/Organisation: Ramiro Ortiz / Rajuanse Estate
- Lot size: we have committed to 4 x 69kg bags
- Relationship: Our relationship with Ramiro is new.
- Other Information: We spoke directly with Ramiro, who is happy working with Sevenoaks.