Orders will be dispatched or prepared for collection by October 3rd
We're pretty excited to be sharing this limited release coffee with our customers, in collaboration with our friends at Quaffee. We consider Quaffee to be one of Cape Town's hidden gems of a roastery, and we're always excited to taste their new releases. This one offers a particularly special opportunity to try something different.
This Tanzanian single origin was produced by a cooperative of 239 small scale farmers, and has been meticulously sorted to extract only the ripest AAA grade beans. It was sourced by Nordic Approach, an extremely well-respected distributor of high end coffees, who is also pioneering programmes to help local communities.
As this coffee is only available in very small quantities, we will be offering one opportunity to order, after which all the coffee will be roasted and distributed to all the lucky buyers.
How to pre-order
Just place your order online before the timer runs out at the end of the day on Monday, October 1st. The coffee will be roasted on Tuesday October 2nd and distributed on Wednesday October 3rd.
Our notes on Tanzania Iyela AAA
This coffee is delicious as a pour-over or Aeropress, which is how we were lucky enough to sample some of it. Our friends at Quaffee tell us it will be as good as espresso, so we're excited to try that out with the next roast.
The flavours we found were primarily tart berries, and raspberry to be specific. However, we also detected some subtle notes of tropical fruit and a nice syrupy sweetness to balance the acidity out.
If you're buying a bag for home, we'd highly encourage you to try it in paper-filtered manual brew methods!
We found the coffee to have berry flavours and sweetness with a honey like texture, especially in espresso.
Pour over recommendationsFor Chemex, V60 and other pour over brews this is our recommended starting brew.
- Brew ratio of 1:15
- First pour 2.5-3x the weight of the coffee and then wait until 40 seconds
- Second pour up to 40% of total pour in dose. Wait 40-50 seconds.
- Final pours depend on how much body/mouth feel you want. We recommend 2 pours of equal ratio (so 30% each of final water pour dose in).
- Total brew time for V60 between 3.5 and 4 mins and Chemex between 4 and 5 mins
We prefer the classic method to inverted for this coffee
- 16g of coffee
- Add 80g water (82C is best) to the AeroPress
- Stir 3 times
- Wait 30 seconds
- Add another 80g of water to the AeroPress
- Add plunger to top of AeroPress
- Wait for total contact time to be 2 minutes
- Gently plunge the coffee plunger taking around 15-20 seconds to plunge down
Once the coffee is 2 weeks old you may need to increase the coffee dose to 17g
French Press recommendations
- Add 50g of coffee to the press
- Add 800g of water to the press
- Wait 3 minutes. Stir 3 times. Most of the coffee will sink.
- Skim the floating coffee off the top of the brew with a spoon.
- Gently add plunger to press, and gently press down, so plunger is just above coffee.
Coffee details & producer notes
- Country: Tanzania
- Region: Songwe, Mbeya
- Producers: 239 Farmers, each have an average of 1.6 Ha
- Altitude: 1800-1900 masl
- Harvest: Dec 2017
- Processing: Dried on raised African beds. While drying parchment is hand sorted to remove all defects.
- Cultivars: Kent
Screen Size: 19/AAA
Cupping score: 87
Sponsor Tanzanian children's education
This coffee is part of a programme at Nordic Approach called Coffee Club, where Tanzanian children are trained in the skills of coffee cultivation, providing them with an opportunity to create a livelihood after they finish school. You can read more about the initiative on Nordic Approach's website.