We receive fresh deliveries of these coffee beans several times per week. Please allow up to 2-3 working days after you order for dispatch in case we need to wait for the next delivery.
Ecuador is definitely a lesser known coffee origin, at least in South Africa. Despite neighbouring Colombia, one of the biggest coffee producers in the world, it only joined its Latin American neighbours in coffee production in the late 19th century. Still, it now produces about 1% of the world's coffee, which isn't insignificant, so we're happy to have an opportunity to taste one of its speciality lots.
This is the second Ecuadorian coffee that our friends at Quaffee have sourced recently, and this one is even better than the last. This coffee is bursting with malic acidity, and you won't fail to find apple flavours in any cup. While the particular kind of apple may vary based on brewing parameters, golden delicious was what we found most often. This is sometimes accompanied by a nutty finish. It's often preceded by a caramelised sugar flavour, leading a flavour experience a bit like eating a toffee apple inside out. Grab a bag. It's extremely versatile. You won't be disappointed!
- Characteristics: A four-star complexity coffee, with molasses playing a central role. A subtle almond plays second fiddle and a berry finish completes the experience.
- Roast used: Intense flame to start, with a gentle decrease to assist decreasing ramp rate, then acceleration into first crack, when flame it dropped to 50%, and coffee is dumped a minute after first crack.
- Espresso 1:2.2
- AeroPress 17.5g:200g
- Plunger 48g:800g
- Pour over/filter 20g:300g
- Producers: 82 small scale coffee growers from Cantons of Olmedo, Zosoranga, Cariamanga and Espindola
- Region: Lagunas de Saraguallas, Loja, Ecuador
- Country: Ecuador
- Processing: Fully washed dried on patios on the farm
- Harvest Time: Maincrop: July – Oct (2019).
- Varieties: 100% Arabica - Typica, Caturra, Bourbon
- Altitude grown: 1,200 – 1,900 masl
- Packaging: Vac packed Caravela bag