This product typically takes 1-2 working days to dispatch
The Nucleus Coffee Distributor (NCD) is the successor of the ONA Coffee Distributor (OCD), invented by Sasa Sestic, former World Barista Champion and the subject of the documentary The Coffee Man. Sestic conceived of his original distribution tool, now in its fourth generation, to address what he saw as one of the biggest impediments to consistent espresso extraction: channelling, as a result of uneven distribution.
The NCD is designed to quickly and easily distribute the ground coffee in an espresso portafilter, ensuring that the density of the puck is even throughout, before tamping. Uneven distribution can make tamping counterproductive as it can emphasise differences in density (clumping) rather than evening them out. Even distribution minimises the risk of channelling, where the water going through the coffee puck favours certain paths, leading to both over and under extraction in the same bed of coffee.
This latest generation of Sasa Sestic's Coffee Distributor builds on some of the key original features such as the option to adjust the height to work with any 58mm portafilter and any size of espresso dose, as well as four fins for optimum redistribution. It adds lighter materials and a special anti-friction, anti-static coating that prevents grounds from sticking to the distributor.
These days, many world barista competitors use one of Sasa Sestic's distribution tools when trying to create world-class espresso. Now you can do the same in your cafe or even in your home.
Nucleus Coffee Distributor features
- Reduces inconsistencies: evens out your coffee distribution in distribution
- Non-slip grip: easy handling
- Low-friction, low static
- Lightweight build (lighter than previous OCDs)
- Four blades for faster, even distribution
- Adjustable height for different portafilters and doses
Nucleus Coffee Distributor specifications
- Diameter: 58.5mm (fits both IMS and VST Basket)
- Approximate weight: 290g
- Materials: Centre part (stainless steel); adjuster (anodised aluminium); locker (anodised aluminium)
- Packaging: 90mm (W) x 90mm (L) x 58mm (H)